As women in fashion we naturally become “obsessed” with almost anything we find particularly intriguing, and we can guarantee you will have the same sentiment towards this Grilled Guacamole with Pistachios. We’ll come out and say it: We’re OBSESSED.
One bite, and we we’re sold faster than you can say holy molé. And what a more perfect time to come across a special guac recipe than on the last summer-filled weekend? While this one might take a little more elbow grease than your typical guacamole recipe, the unbeatable smokey grilled flavor and crunch from the pistachios is well worth the effort. Happy snacking, Minkettes!
4 small avocados, peel on, split lengthwise and seed removed
1 ear corn, shucked and split in half
1 small onion, cut into wedges
2 jalapeño peppers, split in half lengthwise, stem and seeds removed
2 medium tomatoes, seeds removed and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons fresh cilantro, chopped
½ whole lime, juiced
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, or to taste
½ teaspoons ground red pepper
½ teaspoons cumin
½ cups shelled pistachios, toasted and coarsely chopped
1. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Lightly brush the avocado flesh, corn, onion wedges and jalapeño peppers with olive oil. Place all but the avocado in a grill basket and on the grill over medium-high heat.
2. Place the avocados on the grill cut side up, directly on the grill and cook for 2 minutes. Then flip them and cook them cut side down for another 2 minutes. When finished, remove them from the grill and set aside.
3. Allow the other vegetables to continue to cook, turning them a few times. Continue until they’re tender and lightly charred (10-12 minutes). The corn may take a few minutes longer than the other vegetables. If needed, remove the other vegetables and allow the corn to continue to cook. Remove the basket from the grill when done and allow everything to cool.
4. When the vegetables have cooled to touch, cut the corn off the cob, and dice the rest of the vegetables. Remove the avocado from the peel.
5. In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, corn, onion, peppers, garlic and cilantro, and toss to mix. Add the avocado to the mixture, lightly tossing and mashing it.
6. Add the lime juice and seasonings. Mix together and adjust seasonings as needed. Add the pistachios, toss the mixture again and serve.