In NYC, a manicure goes a long way. From hailing a cab to holding tight on the subway to pointing out that perfect Magnolia cupcake, our nails lead the way. We were very excited to find the amazing Jackson Pollock graffiti inspired manicure tutorial by Naomi Yasuda, a manicuriest to the celebs, on PopSugar. It is such an easy concept and uses only a toothbrush! We’re ready to look artsy!
- 3-5 nail polish colors
#1. Do two coats of your main color before adding any designs. (If you really want your art to last, use a gel nail set as your base.)
#2. Pour your paint on a piece of foil and dip the brush in it. (Make sure to dab away any excess so that the color goes on evenly.)
#3. Continue to layer more colors on top of the first. (Just make sure to clean off the toothbrush between polishes. No need to wait for the layers to dry: the messier the mix, the better.)
Sometimes we get bored with simple nail colors. Luckily, Cheng and Kheng of Brush Crush created an eight-step mani tutorial for newspaper print nails. We are loving the idea of putting the latest WWD updates on our hands! Check out the easy steps below.
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Nail Polish
- Top Coat
1. Apply a base coat.
3. Apply two coats of polish.
4. Once nails are dry, dip them into rubbing alcohol.
6. Place the newspaper on top and gently press newspaper down for 10 seconds.
7. Slowly peel newspaper from the nail.
8. Apply top coat.
It may not be summer yet, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t start trying out our favorite summery manicures. This strawberry nail tutorial from The Dainty Squid is at the top of our must-try list. The secret is using pinking shears to create the zigzag – and the rest is super simple! We can’t wait to pair it with a crisp white dress for a chic summer look.
Materials: red nail polish, green nail polish, black nail polish, a toothpick, pinking shears, scotch tape
1. Paint nails red.
2. Cut 10 strips of tape with the pinking shears and apply one to each nail.
3. Apply the green polish over the tape at the top of each nail.
4. Gently remove the tape immediately after you have painted each nail.
5. Use black nail polish and a toothpick to add little dots to each nail.