This weekend we have a packed schedule. First, we will be rocking our big hats for the Kentucky Derby then we will be getting out our maracas for Cinco de Mayo festivities. Of course both celebrations require the right cocktail and thanks to Camille Styles and Southern Living we have found the perfect recipes. We cannot wait to try it for these two picks for our weekend festivities. Whip up a batch for a group of friends and start celebrating!
#1. GINGER PLUM SANGRIA
- 1 bottle rosé wine
- 1 1/2 cups ginger ale
- 1 plum, puréed in blender
- bunch of fresh mint
- 3 plums, sliced (any color works!)
- 1 apple, sliced
- 1 lime, sliced
- crystallized ginger, for garnish
1.In a large pitcher, combine rosé, puréed plum and a few sprigs of mint. Muddle the mint a bit, then add 2 of the sliced plums, apple and 4 slices lime. Top off with ginger ale.
2. Distribute remaining plum and lime slices among 4 glasses. Add ice, if desired. Fill glasses with sangria, then skewer a piece of crystallized ginger onto a wooden pick for garnish.
#2. MINT JULEP
- 3 fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon Mint Simple Syrup
- Crushed ice
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) bourbon
- 1 (4-inch) cocktail straw or coffee stirrer
- 1 fresh mint sprig
- Powdered sugar (optional)
1. Place mint leaves and Mint Simple Syrup in a chilled julep cup to gently press leaves against cup with back of spoon to release flavors.
2. Pack cup tightly with crushed ice; pour bourbon over ice.
3. Insert straw, place mint sprig directly next to straw, and serve immediately.